Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Restoring adb backup to different phone, bad idea? Also renumbering photos.

I want to upgrade my non-rooted phone to a new model (specifically, from an HTC M8 to a M10), but I would like to try to transfer as much as the settings/data from my old phone as I can.

It's not rooted (though I plan to root the new one immediately) so that really limits my options.

First of all, would restoring an adb backup to the new phone be a bad idea? Obviously I wouldn't use the -system switch, but would even restoring general data and/or apks this way be a bad idea? If so, are there any better methods one can recommend to backup my app/settings data and restore it to a new phone? I don't mean just stuff like contacts or SMS.

And second, I always use a SD card to store my photos, but after it being in this phone for a few years there are a lot of deleted photos, which results in situations where I would have files like photo0012 photo0013 photo0016 with "gaps" between the file numbers. Since most camera software writes to the first available "number" my photos are going to be a scramble of new and old once I start using them on my new phone. Any good (preferably on PC) apps or recommendations on how I can rename them all in order based on the date they were taken so there won't be any "gaps"?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2asFzqG
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment