Monday, August 29, 2016

Need help compiling sedikernel (or any kernel)

Hello,

In order to debug the bluetooth problem, I'm trying to compile a kernel for the Captivate Glide. I can't get it to boot properly.

@steadfasterX 's SediROM is the highest-version ROM I know of on which bluetooth works so I've got it installed (version 2.1.2) on the phone.

The steps I've taken so far:
1. I have sedikernel from http://ift.tt/2bV7C55 at commit 088aa4109ad144c583f32da5ffba7bac200f0575
2. I copied /proc/config.gz from a running phone, which contains CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-sediKERNEL-v1.0", ungzipped it and saved it as .config . Haven't changed anything in it yet.
3. I ran `make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- zImage` (also tried arm-none-eabi- (both from Debian Jessie) as well as ~/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/arm-linux-androideabi- from the NDK)
4. I also made a TWRP backup of the boot partition, and used split_bootimg.pl from William Enck to split it into a kernel and initrd
5. I then ran mkbootimg with the initrd extracted in step 4 and the kernel obtained in step 3 in arch/arm/boot/zImage
6. Finally I flashed this new boot.img onto the phone with odin (Heimdall, specifically)

I see the white "SAMSUNG" logo (which is normal when booting) with a yellow-triangle with an exclamation mark in it. No further boot stage happens (no bootanim from sediROM). If I re-pack the original kernel with bootimg and flash that via odin, then after the next boot the yellow triangle changes into a blue one and sediROM boots correctly.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment, not sure what's going wrong there. Probably the kernel panics for some reason. Is there a way to read the kernel boot messages before android starts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2c3k1RF
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment