Saturday, February 27, 2016

Would appreciate some input...trying to let a friend activate Jewel on her account.

tl;dr ...HTC EVO LTE unlocked via HTCdev and running CM11 needs to be activated on another Sprint subscriber's account. What should I do to make sure that goes smoothly in the next few hours?

long version:

Good friend of mine just got back from a trip to SE Asia and lost her phone. She's back in good 'ol murica now and needs a handset pronto, but miraculously she's taking my advice and holding off on walking into Sprint and leaving with whatever is there, so she can shop around online and find a better deal.

I currently have an HTC Hero, HTC Evo LTE, and LG G3 that are just backup devices to screw around with, so I can lend one to the cause. The Hero just ain't gonna fly, and the G3 is my primary backup and would rather not lend her that one if possible. That leaves Jewel. Mine is unlocked via HTC Dev and currently running CM. I called up the store we'd be going to just to make sure they didn't get weird about the fact that the bootloader is unlocked for whatever reason, to which they replied that as long as it was originally a Sprint phone (check) and still had its SIM card (check), then they'd be fine with trying to activate it. The fella was more worried about being able to successfully activate it than anything else.

This brings me to my question: has anyone done something similar? Ideally, I'd just do a full wipe and bring it in ready to go, but I'm curious about possible technical issues with the fact it is running CM. Should I flash a ROM based on the latest version of Sense or is that unnecessary? What other things might I keep in mind? I want her to be able to have a phone for a week or however long it takes her to get a good one, then deactivate it so I can resume using it as a project device. It'd be great to just restore a TWRP backup after I get the phone back and be right where I left off.

Usually I find these things aren't as simple though. I don't know when sleeping beauty is going to wake up from jetlag hell since on her schedule it feels like 4am right now (its almost 2pm CST at time of posting), but I'm hoping to get some advice on how to properly proceed in the next few hours here.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1WRcDsT
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment