Thursday, March 3, 2016

Lost Phone > File Claim > Phone Shipped > Phone Found > New Phone in Mail

Hello,

I think my topic title is pretty self-explanatory. However, here it goes....

I somehow put my phone on top of my visor in my car. This is a place I have never placed my phone before. I am not sure how I ended doing that. I parked my car and went to work. When I got to work, I couldn't find my phone. I retraced my step back to my car, and I couldn't find the phone. I called it from my work phone, and of course I couldn't find it since I was at my desk. I attempted to use Android Device Manager to locate the phone, and the phone showed as "unavailable." I am not sure why, and since I had lost my phone at work about four months ago, I came to the conclusion that I must have left/dropped it somewhere between leaving my CAR and getting to my desk and someone found it. This person did not intend to return it, so he/she turned the phone off.

I filed a lost/stolen claim with Asurion, and the claim was approved. Asurion already shipped the phone. When I got off work and got to my CAR, I then noticed that my phone was on top of the visor. There is nothing wrong with the phone, and it is basically only less than four months old. I want to keep my phone. I have spent the past hour researching what happens when you find your lost phone that you already filed a claim for, and I did not really find my specific scenario. One thing is clear: the "lost" phone legally belongs to the insurance company and must be returned if/when found.

However, here's my concern: although I am getting an upgraded model (I have the Note 4, and I am getting the note 5), I don't really want the new phone since I have found my phone. However, I do not want Asurion to impose keeping my $200 bucks and having me return a perfectly good phone with no issues. I want to "reject" their new phone, since I have not received it, get a refund, and continue using my phone. However, based on what I have read so far, once a phone is reported as stolen, the ESM is deactivated and blacklisted (sometime, that is not really the case from what I have read), I may not be "able" or "allowed" to keep my phone and must keep the new one I have not received or used (by the way, it should already be activated when I do receive it). I really want to keep my phone.

I understand that Asurion would be the one who can address my concern, but I am wondering if anyone has been in my shoes. I am not talking about finding your phone after you've received the new one AND used it. I am talking about even before you receive the new phone... and when you do receive the new one, you do not use it.

Thoughts?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1TTyGko
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment